Creativity: War Games
War Games© is a Research Dimensions technique designed to help marketers develop new competitive marketing and product strategies in situations where:
- A new product is to be launched
- A competitor launches a new product
- A price war is initiated
- An advertising war is initiated
Led by two facilitators, this simulated marketing battle uses a five-step, Idea Generating process in order to develop optimum strategic options.
- 1. Corporate history, product objectives, preferences and limitations are determined in discussion with the client.
- 2. Client participants are recruited, divided into two teams (THEM and US); Referee/Planners are selected and all are given "homework" assignments in advance of the War Games.
- 3. A one day War Games session is then conducted in which the US TEAM develops its initial strategies in an Idea Generating work session led by a Research Dimensions facilitator.
- 4. A "chat down" takes place at the end of the session in which all ideas are reviewed and evaluated.
- 5. A debriefing War Games Wrap Up is held within one week among the key participants in order to establish priorities, responsibilities and timetables for action.
These initial strategies are presented to the THEM TEAM who, in response, develops counter strategies in a session led by the second Research Dimensions facilitator. These counter strategies are presented to the US TEAM, and new US TEAM strategies are developed in response. In this way, a series of strategies and counter strategies are developed.
The results are a series of best strategic options, and a group of participants who have the commitment which comes with involvement through the entire process.